Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Best of Both Worlds

Ciao! It's been awhile since I have posted, but I was waiting to get back from beautiful Croatia.

Last week was our second week of classes. I made a classic freshman mistake of thinking my class was at 12:30 not 12. I was just casually killing time on the computer right next to my classroom, bored wishing it would hurry up and be 12:30, little did I know it had already been going on. So, I made a great second impression on my teacher. Stupido Americano!

I've really been inspired by my Anthropology teacher. This class is my favorite. It is Anthropology of Fashion and Desirability. I wish everyone could take this class. Anthropology is one of my favorite class, so mixing that with fashion is perfect. 

 To think that fashion is dumb and a silly choice of a major is being naïve to the world in which we live. Fashion is everywhere, it is a form or art which in turn is a form of creativity which is a human nature. Fashion isn't just runway, models, and vogue. It is the expression of oneself and that is different from person to person. Every single person has a choice when they wake up to shower, put on makeup, brush their teeth, workout, and put on clothes. Every person is modifying their body in order to express themselves in order to communicate to one another. All of that is fashion. We do not need fashion for material survival but we need if for survival of creativity which is a human nature. Creativity is expression of identity and our identity is formed from emotions, relationships, love, etc.., and it is our necessity to express our identity; a way we express our identity is through fashion.

Fashion = Art = Creativity = Human nature.

We are born with it and it is what separates us from all other beasts in this world. So, the next time you hear someone say fashion think that it is a bigger, deeper concept than one can grasp.

 I have also learned that art is the first form of communication for humans. Before language came about, people in prehistoric times would draw on their bodies. They would create stories and memories all over their bodies. A thought of the day for you then, why is it now and days people think of tattoos as someone being delinquent or less knowledgeable then someone else? Why is it considered wrong and bad and dirty? People drew on themselves before we talked in order to tell a story; this is exactly what people in the 21st century are doing. A tattoo is more than just ink on a body. It is telling a story. It is giving someone else in insight to that persons’ life. It is art. It is creativity. It is a language all on its own.

I hope that in this short but strong post I have opened your eyes up to a new perspective and I hope you transcend this into your life and others.

Now... for the lighter stuff. Wanna know what I've been up to outside of class?!?

Drinking.... Drinking... Drinking...
Ha but really, [See Ma I can do both study and party ;)]

I have met a pretty cool girl from Australia, her name is Charlee. 

We went to this margarita place for happy hour and had these massive daiquiris! They had around 21 flavors to choose from, talk about overwhelming! After about 4 each we headed off to aperitivo. Aperitivo is when you pay say around 7 euros for one cocktail and a buffet. It more popular here in Italy then having dinner. I really enjoyed this more than a sit down dinner. It's a lot lighter and there is usually a lot of different food plus a cocktail on top of that!



Tuesday we went to a pub called Lochness and listen to some Americans play music. It was chill. I had never done that before and really enjoyed just relaxing and drinking and listening to music. There is a drink here in Italy called a Spritz that is delish! If you ever come here, drink one. It is kind of like a sangria. After listening to music we ended up at a club called Blob. Charlee was playing DJ with her awesome Australian music.
 
Tonight we are heading back out to the Ethiopian restaurant to eat and smoke hooka and then back to Lochness to listen to music. Lets just hope tomorrow morning goes more smoothly than last Wednesday morning!

Heads-up for next time: pictures from Croatia!

Hope everyone in the States are doing good! Love you and miss you all!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment